A new year is here and do you know what that means? 365 days full of new opportunities to experience the world like never before. I am so thankful to have the opportunity to work with so many individuals, families, couples, and organizations to plan and execute the travel they have always dreamed of. Since I have the privilege to work with so many of you, I have seen a number of trends in the world of travel, and I have chosen the top 5 that I would recommend to anyone traveling somewhere new (or even somewhere you have been a dozen times before). Read on to learn more about my recommendations for your travel this year.
1. Seek authentic experiences. This is a big one for me and it was actually one of the driving forces behind making the decision to start Louisa White. So many travelers do not take the time to research and seek out authentic experiences when they travel. Instead, getting stuck in tourist traps or following around some guy with a flag in a group of 50 people. Please don't do this. If you need help making it happen please reach out to me - that's what I'm here for! I work tirelessly to ensure that my clients have the most authentic experiences so you never need to worry about missing out again. And trust me, I know how much work goes into planning so I certainly understand why you might not want to take the time to do this yourself!
2. Visit destinations that are changing rapidly. Cuba is a great example of somewhere that is undergoing major changes very quickly. Cuba is both an emerging destination and one that is soon going to be almost unrecognizable as tourism increases. Other top destinations to see sooner rather than later include the Arctic, Australia's Great Barrier Reef, The Dead Sea, India's Taj Mahal, and Venice, Italy. Not to mention that its already too late to visit some places including Tokyo's Tsukiji Fish Market and Malta's Azure Window.
3. Treat yourself to an indulgent, over-the-top experience. Rent a villa, charter a yacht, hire a private guide or chauffer; even just upgrading to suite can do the trick. Exclusive experiences are a key trend at the moment and I have seen huge demand for experiences that are unique and especially luxurious.
4. Embrace the local flavors. Take a cooking class, visit local markets, dine at the best restaurants, hunt for truffles, visit olive oil producers...you get the idea. Food is a window into local culture and there is no better way to enjoy it than by diving right in! Resist the urge to simply eat the same food you enjoy at home. Trying something new every now and then (especially when traveling) is good for you! And you never know...you just might love it!
5. Try a new type of travel. My recommendation for those looking to try something new? A river cruise. These intimate, floating boutique hotels are truly luxurious. What better way is there to see many destinations all while only having to unpack once? My husband and I took a river cruise last summer and we spent our days exploring charming villages and our evenings sipping cocktails on deck as the river rolled by. Not to mention the fact that we visited five countries! A cruise along the Rhine, Danube, or Seine is the perfect relaxing getaway. Fabulous, food, charming destinations, and never needing to worry about a thing the whole time. Thats my idea of a luxurious getaway.
So what do you think? Do you embrace these tips when you travel? Why or why not? Let me know what you think and if you're ready to start planning your own journey give me a call or send an email today. This is a busy time of year so make sure you reach out early.