Scotland has endless things to see and do from breathtaking landscapes to festivals and events all years round. Speaking of breathtaking landscapes, did you know that Scotland was voted the world's most beautiful country? The ideal destination for everyone from active travelers to whisky lovers, golfers and history buffs, here are just a few reasons why I think you should visit Scotland this year:
1. The Solheim Cup will be held at the spectacular Gleneagles Golf Course in Perthshire this September. Teams of 12 golfers from Europe and the United States ensure that this will be an event not to be missed for those who love the sport! Let me know if you want to go asap because my friends at Gleneagles would love to take care of you but time really is running out to make traveling for this event to happen.
2. The Orkney Distillery. Here's something that may come as a surprise - Scotland is also famous for gin. While whisky gets all the limelight, Scotland has a fabulous tradition of making gin as well. The Orkney Distillery opened last summer and offers tours and tastings along with beautiful views of Kirkwall's harbor.
3. Drive the Snow Roads Scenic Route. A new addition to Scotland's numerous scenic routes and stretching over 90 miles across the Highland's Cairngorns National Park, this new scenic route is well worth a visit. Active adventure is just waiting to be had from the snow capped mountains down to the rugged glens.
4. The new V&A Dundee. The first V&A museum outside London opened last year in Dundee and is a stunning space well worth a visit. While you're in the area why not include a visit to Scotland's Tay Country between Edinburgh and Aberdeen?
5. The Hebridean Whisky Trail. The Hebrides are a collection of islands off the coast of Scotland that offers up a whisky experience like no other. Taste some of Scotland's finest whisky and enjoy stunning scenery all along the way.