Movies to Inspire Wanderlust While You're Stuck at Home
Updated: Mar 19, 2020
“Stay home and hunker down” are not words that I, as a travel advisor and world traveler myself, ever thought I would give as advice. However, with the current coronavirus aka COVID-19 situation and the need to be responsible, I completely understand that we all must socially distance ourselves and our families right now to help reduce the impact of this nasty new virus. I feel very strongly that we will all get through this together and the world will once again open its arms to receive curious visitors. So, while we may not be actively traveling right now, it is vitally important to keep on dreaming about your next vacation or adventure.
Since we are staying home, and most schools are closed as well, I thought it might be a help to recommend some of my favorite travel-themed movies that can easily be found with the many streaming services that are out there. What better way to spend a couple of hours with your family than watching together, dreaming together and getting inspiration for your next trip? While my husband has lately been opting for uplifting choices like Contagion and Outbreak, I think you might find these to be better choices!
1. Eat, Pray, Love (2010) - A married woman realizes how unhappy her marriage really is, and that her life needs to go in a different direction. After a painful divorce, she takes off on a round-the-world journey to "find herself” in Italy, India & Bali.
2. P.S., I Love You (2007) - A young widow discovers that her late husband has left her messages intended to help ease her pain and start a new life. Ireland is the star!
3. Under the Tuscan Sun (2003) – Based on the book by Frances Mayes, the film is about a recently divorced writer who buys a villa in Tuscany on a whim, hoping it will lead to a change in her life. The beauty of Cortona and the Italian people are featured.
4. Letters to Juliet (2010) – traveling to Verona Italy with her busy fiancé, a young American journalist gets involved in an adventure based on a love letter a tourist left at the monument to Romeo & Juliet’s unrequited love.
5. Mamma Mia (2008) & Mamma Mia: Here we go again (2018)– based on the wildly successful Broadway musical with a score from ABBA, this story tracks the lovely story of Donna and her daughter Sophie as they both grow and learn from the past.
6. The Way (2010) - An American father takes the journey on the Camino del Santiago to understand what happened with his son, who died while attempting the journey himself. The beauty of France and Spain is prominently featured.
7. National Lampoon’s European Vacation (1985) Just for giggles, follow the Griswold family through their comedic adventures in France, Italy & Germany. Because we all need a laugh right now!
And especially for the kids (but parents will like these too!):
1. Brave (Disney) – A great adventure story based in Scotland that also teaches girls that they don’t need that handsome prince to be awesome.
2. Moana (Disney) – The young daughter of the village chief discovers her calling and purpose by rescuing her Hawaiian island from an angry goddess, with the entertaining help of the demigod Maui.
3. Ratatouille (Disney) - In Paris, a rat name Remy longs to become a French chef. He befriends a young restaurant worker, Linguini, and “mentors” his human friend in the ways of preparing fine cuisine.
4. The Sound of Music – Need I say more? The adventures of the Von Trapp family and their nanny, Maria, set in pre-WW II Austria. A classic!
5. Madeline: Lost in Paris - A young schoolgirl in Paris embarks on many misadventures that cause her fellow students and teachers many headaches. Based on the book series.
So, pop some popcorn and cozy up on the couch together and start dreaming! This social distancing thing is looking better already. When the world calms down and you are ready to turn your new travel dreams into reality, I am here to make it effortless for you….Keep on Traveling!!!